About Third-Party Software for Cutters

Paul

About Third-Party Software for Cutters

Post by Paul »

Though modern cutters have features you can only access through their proprietary software, many crafters do their design work in programs that are not pegged to a single vendor's products.

Most third-party programs have better design tools than the manufacturer's programs.
Most third-party products can import and export more file types than the manufacturer's programs.

There are some limitations. For example, nobody's third-party software can drive a Cricut Joy, Explore, or Maker directly. But as a person who grew up with graphic design software, I appreciate the ability to create and save SVG files outside of Cricut's "save only proprietary formats and save them only where we let you" approach. And Sure-Cuts-A-Lot (SCAL) has a feature that allows you to export Cricut-friendly SVG files you can pull right into Design Space without much tweaking or reorienting.

(With some slightly illegal, but easily downloadable software hacks, you can also use Sure-Cuts-A-Lot to drive the original Cricuts directly. Click the following link for an explanation: https://hobbycutters.com/legacy_cricuts ... ricuts.htm)

I actually do most of my design work in Corel Draw (similar to Adobe Illustrator), because I've been using it since before Windows. But the freeware program Inkscape also has many useful features, and - to my way of thinking - lets you design complex cuts far more easily than, say, Design Space.

Finally, using third-party-software (and saving all of your designs as .svg files) means you won't lose your work if ProvoCraft decides to discontinue their current products or you decide to migrate to a non-ProvoCraft device such as a large scale signcutter.

In my case, it allows me to use the same software to drive different machines. So with SCAL, I can cut less demanding jobs on my old Cricut Expression or Cameo (1), and cut more demanding jobs on my Cameo 4, just by unplugging and re-plugging the cords.

As discussions related to Sure-Cuts-A-Lot, Make-The-Cut, Inkscape, and other useful products surface, we will put them in this section.

Questions, comments, corrections, etc., welcome,

Paul